Now, when people think of Victoria Sponge they may think that it’s a boring flavour as it is just sponge but when it comes to me, I couldn’t adore it anymore. Here’s how I make it:
- 175g Sugar
- 250g Butter
- 3 Medium Eggs
- 175g Flour
- 2tbsp Baking Powder
- 2tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 175g Icing Sugar
- Strawberry or Raspberry Jam
- Two 2ocm round tins
- Greaseproof paper
- Oven Gloves
- A mixing bowl
- All the cutlery necessary, Teaspoon, Tablespoon, Knife etc…
- Electric whisk or Mixing spoon
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees or Gas Mark 4. Line the two tins with the grease proof paper so that the sponge cakes do not stick.
- Place 175g of the butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla extract into your mixing bowl and sift over the flour and baking powder.
- Using an electric or hand whisk, beat together the ingredients until thick.
- Divide the mixture between the two tins, make sure to level the tops of the mixture with the back of tablespoon.
- Bake in the centre of your oven for 30 minutes or until risen and firm to touch.
- Leave the cakes to cool in the tins for around 4 minutes, then turn them round onto a rack or chopping board. Peel off the baking paper and allow the cakes to cool completely.
- To make the buttercream filling place the remaining 50g of butter, icing sugar, a splash of vanilla extract and 2tsp of milk in a mixing bowl. Beat them together with a wooden mixing spoon until smooth and creamy.
- Spread one of the cakes with jam and the other with buttercream, then sandwich the two halves together.
- To finish dust with icing sugar and there you have it!!